QuickBooks is powerful accounting software that helps users fulfill their business needs. But, there exist some errors that interrupt users. One of them is QuickBooks error 6073. It comes up on the screen with a message, “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user. Error codes: (-6073, -99001).” The error usually triggers when the company file is hosted on a Linux server or is kept in a read-only network folder. Continue reading the blog to learn more about error 6073 in QuickBooks, along with causes and troubleshooting steps.
Need direct assistance on QuickBooks error 6073? Reach out to the certified QuickBooks expert’s team by calling us on our helpline number +1 800-579-9430
Main causes of QuickBooks Desktop error 6073
Down below are the most prominent reasons behind the error:
- The user has hosted all the data files on a Linux server and uses multiple login credentials to sign in.
- The company data file is being accessed by a remote software.
- The company file user is trying to open is already open on another computer in single-user mode.
- The user’s company file could be located in a read-only network folder.
Quick Ways to Fix QuickBooks company file error 6073
Solution 1. Make the most of QuickBooks File Doctor
The tool will scan and repair the company file. To use the tool efficiently, download the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub on your device and then run the tool.
- Close all company files and then the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open your browser and download the QuickBooks Tool Hub setup file.
- The downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file will get saved in the Downloads folder.
- Open the Downloads folder, then the downloaded file, and follow the steps given on the screen to install the tool hub.
- Select the mark the agree to the terms and conditions checkbox, then click Finish.
- From your desktop, locate and double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon.
- When the QuickBooks Tool Hub opens, choose Company Issues and click Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- From the tool, choose your company file from the drop-down. If you can’t find your file, click Browse and search to find it.
- Click to mark the middle Check your file option and then Continue.
- Enter log in details and click Next.
Solution 2. Use Quick Fix my Program to resolve the company file error
- Reopen the QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose Program Problems.
- Click Quick Fix my Program and wait till the tool rectify program issues.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and then your data file.
Solution 3. Start QuickBooks in multi-user mode
- Shut the QuickBooks Desktop application on all devices.
- Move to your Host computer, open the company file and go to the File menu.
- Choose the Switch to Multi-user mode option.
If the error continues, try opening the company file in multi-user mode.
Solution 4: Reset QuickBooks Update Settings and Download the latest Updates
In this method, we will be manually updating the QuickBooks program by changing the update settings –
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on your screen and click on the Help menu tab.
- Choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option from the list, go to Update Now, and then tick the Reset Update checkbox.
- Tap on getting Updates and re-launch the application once this is complete.
- Click on the Help menu again and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Press Overview and hit the Update Now button.
- After this, restart your computer and open QuickBooks.
Solution 5: Check Other Issues of Internet Explorer
In order to check if there is any misconfiguration in the settings of the Internet Explorer, we need to run the system file checker program to diagnose any issues –
If you are unable to resolve QuickBooks error 6073 on your own, get in touch with the QuickBooks technical support team by calling us on our toll-free number +1 800-579-9430.